Monday, November 2, 2009

Best Oyster Bar. Ever.

I think I have been fairly vocal about my love and sick obsession for oysters. I originally had planned to attend the Oyster Fest held annually in Oyster Bay, NY for the first time this year in place of NY Wine & Food Festival since I went last year but due to conflict of scheduling and the precedence of flag football, I didn't end up going. However, my wonderful coach and fellow foodie offered to take me and the guest I invited (Yena Joo!) out for oysters and we set the date to check out Jack's Luxury Oyster Bar. Best decision ever.

Jack's Luxury Oyster Bar is the latest venture of the owners of Jewel Bako. It is extremely small, similar to Jewel Bako, and came highly recommended by other oyster lovers. Based on my experience of eating oysters, the taste and the experience of truly enjoying oysters is definitely heightened when dining with a connoisseur, i.e. Reggie Kim. We started off with oysters from both East and West coasts, to discover again that we all unanimously loved West coast oysters far better than the East. It is smaller and more rich in flavor, distinguished by the unique patterned of the oyster shell.


We tried their six oysters in two ways combo, where the chef tops fresh oysters with different garnishes to enhance the flavor of the oysters. The two kinds we tried were oysters with grapefruit and cilantro and oysters with watermelon.



I can't possibly put into words how deliciously amazing the watermelon oysters were.



We ordered another dozen of the watermelon oysters (see above). While we were eating regular oysters, Reggie kept describing the taste of the oyster to be like a melon. When they are paired with watermelon, it brings out the melon-like taste of the oyster with a touch of sweetness, which is what made this just simply amazing. No other garnish needed; we loved you just the way you were.

Aside from the oysters, I think we tried almost all the small plates on the menu and they were great but nothing in comparison to the watermelon oysters. It's a must try!

Jack's Luxury Oyster Bar
101 Second Ave. NYC




2 comments:

Nari said...

mmmm looks delicious! must try :)

Anonymous said...

this was goooood.. thanks for the rec. ms. nayori couldn't get enough