Monday, December 8, 2008

Starbucks - Recession

Times are tough. And when times are tough, we need to make certain adjustments, unfortunately and in rare instances such as this, fortunately. A friend of mine, Peter Lee, has his own daily fix and distinct menu at Starbucks, as we all do. I have several of my own as well:

  • Fall: Pumpkin spice latte – skim, extra hot, no foam
  • Summer: Iced vanilla latte – skim, light ice
  • No $ in the summer: Doppio over ice on grande cup – ask for soy milk at the counter and add along with 2 splendas

To add to my list of favorites from Starbucks, here is my new “No $ in the winter”

  • No $ in the winter: Venti coffee with 3 pump white mocha

This is the special drink introduced to me by Peter. I love the fact that it’s inexpensive, especially in this state of our economy.  One of my favorite parts of ordering specialty drinks (i.e. lattes, cappuccinos, and alike) at Starbucks is that I don’t have to spend the extra time standing by the counter to add splenda, milk, etc.  It’s a complete grab-and-go procedure, which I came to believe, makes up for the extra money we spend towards heated and foamed milk. My “No $ in the winter” drink follows the same grab-and-go procedure: no need for additional milk or sweetener of your choice. It’s sweet for those who stray away from sweet coffee but for those who welcome it, it’ll be a treat! The white mocha pump works as both dairy and sugar a regular coffee may require but because it’s house-brewed coffee, it’s stronger than your regular white mocha latte. Also, because it’s house-brewed coffee, it stays heated longer than your “extra-hot” latte option, which makes it worthwhile especially for a venti-sized cup. If you’re not a regular venti-sized drinker, I believe getting a grande coffee with 2 pump white mocha would be a similar ratio, but I have yet to try it to compare the taste.

When life gives you lemons, go make lemonade.

When $5/cup for a delectable latte at Starbucks is overbearing, opt for “No $ in the winter” drink!

 

Jasmine

1 comment:

maureen said...

if you buy a starbucks gift card and register it the syrup is free, making it even cheaper.