It's been awhile since Foodies got together for our ritual and for the first time, we decided to finally try out sushi. I don't know why we haven't done this sooner but given all the options that we're always pondering over, it's no surprise that sushi isn't usually on the top of our to-eat list.
I had a hard time picking a place because the number of people joining us was confirmed last minute. However, Kanoyama was top of the list and luckily, we were able to score a reservation the day of for 6. Prior to going, I read the NYTimes review by Frank Bruni and was reassured to go based on his review and rating. Moreover, my ultimate convincing factor was their oyster uni ikura (see below) because hey, I die for oysters and uni. What better way to put it all together in one bite?!
We ordered dozen kumamoto oysters as well as dozen oyster uni ikura to start off and to my extremely disappointment, the oyster uni ikura was not what I had expected. The ikura overpowered both the taste of the uni and the oyster that the only thing you tasted was the ikura, which left the oyster and uni to simply remain as textures. Sad. Moving on. We also ordered spicy tuna tartar for appetizer, which was served in a cone stuffed with spicy tuna tartar, avocado, topped with masago. It was good, tasty, but nothing worth remembering.
I must say, the quality for their pricing is excellent. Perhaps, what we wanted in sushi was more adventurous, eclectic, if not, simply more variety. We ordered two orders of sushi & sashimi for 3 and each piece of the fish was extremely fresh and each bite was promising. However, the variety of the fish (sashimi & sushi) comprised of tuna, yellowtail, salmon, clam, and mackerel with two rolls of california rolls on the side. The portion was generous, leaving all of us full and content. I don't know if I'd necessarily go back but if I were to, I would not order their platters but rather experiment different pieces and of course, sit at the bar and order the omakase. Their sparkling sake was excellent, but very pricey!
We went to Rocco's in the West Village for their cannolis, which is to be one of the best in the city. What is so special about their cannolis is that they are stuffed with their amazing cream filling on the spot. You have the option of topping the sides off with pistachio or chocolate chip. I hear the pistachio is better (I had the chocolate chip) but the cream in itself is to die for. Highly highly recommend, especially for you dessert lovers!
Few pics below from both Kanoyama and Rocco's:
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment